This page is updated and maintained by Robert Moulthrop, who met and contacted John through his essay "You're In Prison" originally published in The Sun, October 2006. Read about John and his achievements below, and keep an eye on the main blog, which often features short pieces written by John.
John Purugganan has been serving a sentence of life without parole since 1989 in a California prison. He was an associate editor of and contributor to “Too Cruel, Not Unusual Enough,” a collection of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry from prisoners serving life without parole, an anthology published by The Other Death Penalty Project. His essay “You’re In Prison” was published by The Sun in October 2006 (Issue 370) and was subsequently listed in the “Notable Essays of 2006,” section of the Best American Essays 2007, edited by David Foster Wallace and Robert Atwan. His essay “My Cellies,” published by qarrtsiluni in 2011, was nominated for a Pushcart Prize. His essays have been anthologized in Honor Comes Hard: Writings from California Prison System’s Honor Yard, edited by Luis J. Rodriguez and Lucinda Thomas, and Psychology and Personal Growth, by Nelson Goud and Abe Arkoff. His essay “Death Without the Possibility of Parole” received an honorable mention by the PEN America Prison Writing Awards 2012-2013, and both his poetry and non-fiction writing were listed as finalists for the INK: Prison Writing Contest, hosted by Vidahlia Press and Publishing House in 2014. He is the author of numerous manuscripts, plays, and screenplays, including the play "Let’s Keep Dancing," a prizewinner in the first annual Arts in Correction Playwriting Contest in 1992, and currently under developmental review by The Public Theatre in New York City.
Links To JOHN's Writing
- East Bay Times op-ed, "Death Be Not Proud, Prop 62 Just As Cruel,” 2016.
- Honorable Mention for “Death Without the Possibility of Parole,” PEN Prison Writing Award Winners 2012-2013.
- Too Cruel, Not Unusual Enough, 2013, edited by Kenneth E. Hartman (editor) with John Purugganan and Robert C. Chan (associated editors): article about the anthology from official website.
- “My Cellies” published in quarrtsiluni, June 2011 (also nominated for Pushcart Prize).
- “You’re In Prison” included in the Indiana University textbook Psychology and Personal Growth 2008 (8th Edition) edited by Nelson Good and Abe Arkoff.
- “You’re In Prison” named a Notable essay of 2006 and appeared in the back of Best American Essays 2007.
- “You’re In Prison” published in the The Sun, Oct 2006.
- “The Last Poem,” Poetry Finalist, INK: Prison Writing Contest.
- “Death without Parole” named a Non Fiction Finalist in Vidahlia Press Prison Writing Contest.
- LA Times Coverage of 1992 Playwriting Contest, which John placed in for his play "Let's Keep Dancing."